Sunday, January 4, 2009

Vacation

I realized Sunday morning that I was on vacation. I was sitting outside my cute little hotel room, on a cute little veranda, swinging on a hammock under palm trees listening to sea gulls and breaking waves. I may have been traveling for three months, but this weekend was a vacation.

Varkala is a beach town completely geared for Westerners. Restaurants and shops line the spectacular cliff and crooked stairs lead down to the water and two little beaches. We spent an afternoon playing in the waves-- the current is strong. I love that feeling of exhaustion after swimming in the ocean.

Our train on Friday evening was more than two hours late arriving. The ride itself was only about an hour and a half. Martin and I entertained ourselves on the train platform doing mental math (we were solving quadratic equations and converting numbers to binary). Time flew!

I have more I want to write about good food and how speaking the language (or having a friend who does) makes the experience that much better, but I just got the two minute warning. I am now at Amma's ashram and internet time is very, very limited. Like wait an hour in line for 30 minutes of access. There seem to be about eight computers and something like 3000 residents on the ashram. So, don't expect updates for a few days!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I was just reading a post about how you have no sense of time, that it feels like you are just starting the school year and at the end of summer break, and you said you have started a school year every year since you were five, and it made me think the same thing for me and for most teachers. I can't wait for a mid August to come and go and I am still vacationing! Sounds fun. Enjoy yourself!

Lori said...

A request... I can't remember which post has the Flickr address. Would you be able to put a link to it on the side of your blog? Just a suggestion!

Anonymous said...

Seth got a binary watch for Christmas. It's awesome! Quadratic equations might be a bit much for me these days---I didn't even do so well at your simple number games. :)
Enjoy the time at the ashram, and take a few days to relax. Christina