Wednesday, June 11, 2008

State Mottos


Does anyone know the motto for New Hampshire? This picture, taken on a country road in eastern New Hampshire, gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Live Free or Die." Hopefully it is a joke (that snowboard in the picture is also nailed to the house), but I'll admit that I was nervous when my Kathleen actually turned into the driveway so I could take this picture. I suggested that the road seemed like a better place to be... preferably still moving....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how old is that. the snowboard really makes it look cooler too. what does that have to do with the motto??

Bri said...

Good question, math-learner. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. The people of New Hampshire are known for being independent. The motto "Live free or die" gives two choices: independence or death. This sign suggests the residents of the house are independent: instead of calling 911, and relying on someone else to take care of them, they'll take care of it themselves.