Wednesday, November 19, 2008

D'oh

I am currently in the Doha, Qatar airport (airport code: DOH) on my way to Mumbai. Somehow I have found free internet (on a terrible computer, but hey it's free), so if the blog gets hacked in the next few days.... that's why! Also, it boots you off after ten minutes, so this will be necessarily short.

My flight left Rome today at noon (+1GMT, so six hours ahead of EST) and arrived in Doha at 7:20pm (+3 GMT). I depart again at 10:20pm and arrive in the wee hours of the morning... 4:30am or something equally ridiculous (+5 1/2 GMT, I think... the time zones difference gets weird here).

I ran all over Rome the last two days: Colisseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Vatican (again), Pantheon (again), Giolitti's gelatteria (again and again) and also did some maintenance tasks (like picking up laundry soap and toothpaste). I wanted to get a bar of soap for washing laundry, instead of liquid or powder. Much easier to travel with. Turns out Italy (where much laundry is still handwashed and almost all is air-dried) is the perfect place to do that.

I didn't think I would even get to breathe the air of Doha, but I did... this is one of those airports where you disembark by a staircase into the open air and onto a waiting bus. So my few breathes of Doha air were distinctly fume-flavored....

I have 56 seconds remaining, so I am going to sign off and go explore.... the airport! Woohoo!

No comments: