Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Real Newsflash

For those reading the news headlines about Mumbai, I just wanted to post that I am safe and sound (something to be very thankful for this day) and far, far from Mumbai. I also (fortunately) had no plans to be back there during my travels (I fly out of Delhi).

For those who have not seen the headlines, here is a summary: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7751707.stm

I want to thank all of you who emailed or posted messages inquiring after my current location. I feel so thankful to have so many good friends and family members looking out for my safety and well-being. Thank you!

I will post more later, but for now I am late to learn how to put on sari.

(Edit: I am back now. The unofficial sari wearing lesson was postponed, but I went to my cooking lesson. I decided I would just add to this post, since my comments are on the same subject.)

Actually, I am finding myself a bit at a loss for words. I don't think I will try to summarize the situation; it is complicated and still unfolding at this moment. Just follow the BBC link for up-to-date details.

I feel a bit as I did on September 11, 2001. Thankful to be ok, confused, and unable to really wrap my head around such a horrific event. I don't want to unsettle anyone, but some details of my time in Mumbai are probably warranted here (scroll to the bottom of the BBC article for a map of the places I will mention). I stayed in a hostel across the street from the Taj Mahal Hotel and Palace, one of the hotels targeted in the attacks. I could see it from my window and have some lovely pictures of its ornate architecture. I walked by Cafe Leopold several times. I was at the train station (CST or Victoria Terminus) three times: once to buy my ticket, once to take pictures (again, it is stunning), and once to actually take my train. The BBC doesn't say it, but in the picture at the top of the article linked above (caption: Indian army snipers climb scaffolding opposite the Taj Mahal Palace hotel) the sniper is climbing the Gateway to India, a major landmark in the city (again, I took pictures of it and wrote down the inscription). It is strange how this city, which literally a week ago was on the other side of the world, is now so familiar. I like Mumbai: I did not expect to from what others had told me. It is a friendly city and very walkable. I am concerned for both visitors to the city and its residents. The sweet Indian family that was on the train with me (with a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son, and the mom worked in Phoenix for a while) lives in Colaba-- just blocks from where I stayed and the Taj Mahal hotel. I hope they are still in Bangalore visiting grandparents and cousins. I am also thinking of Natalia, a sweet Brazilian girl who had been stuck at the hostel in Mumbai for two weeks, waiting for a replacement bank card to arrive. I hope she is ok.

I have much to be thankful for on this day of giving thanks, and I am thinking of many others, hoping they will have reason to celebrate as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading the bbc article and seeing the pictures and then rereading your entry it seems surreal that you were right there.
I'm so glad that you are ok.
Safe travels and Happy Thanksgiving

Lori said...

I am so glad to hear you are safe. We thought about you immediately after seeing it on the news. It's hard to believe you were there just recently. Stay safe and aware and Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Bri - I haven't checked the blog in a awhile - holy adventure you are having....I love reading your writing! You have a true gift to communicate with your writing....we are freezing in MA but loving it...

Bri said...

Amara? Shannon? Is that you? In any case, thanks for the kind words. I worry that my rambling writing sounds like a rushing river gasping for air.... glad to know it is being enjoyed :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is definitely enjoyed! Of course, I always enjoy a little stream of consciousness . . .