Monday, December 15, 2008

Just wait five minutes

There's a saying in Boston that if you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes. It didn't work for me then (the dismal gray rain could drag on for three days), but it sure is true other times.

After yoga and breakfast this morning, I was on a mission. Several missions, in fact, which rarely turns out to be a formula for contentment or happiness. I stopped by the office to check email. Both of the computers were in use, so I went upstairs to use the bathroom. The housekeeping guys were scrubbing and mopping away. I picked up my bags and went across the street to drop some things off at Aranmula Fashion Tailors, but he was closed. I started back to the office to sit and wait.

Suddenly, the elephant appeared! I turned around (again) and followed him down the road. My day instantly brightened, and I had to laugh that 30 seconds ago I was not so happy. Fortunately, my to do list had been cleared up (even if I got nothing done), so I had room to enjoy the serendipitous treat! Not only was the timing perfect, but I had my camera in my bag (I had taken it out this morning and then put it back in!) and snapped a few pictures.

I thought the elephant might be headed for the river for a bath, but they kept going past the turn off to the river. I followed. Eventually, it was time for me to turn around and head back for my cooking lesson.

I am wearing a sari today! Well, this afternoon. I wore yoga clothes this morning, but I showered before lunch and put on the sari ALL BY MYSELF! Every other time, my housemate, Alexandra, who has some natural talent for Indian fashions, grabs the fabric and whips it around me, perfectly pleated and pinned, before I even know what she is doing. But today she wasn't home, so I figured it was time for me to practice on my own :)

I have also learned to split a coconut in half ALL BY MYSELF. Nisha was so impressed she suggested I take a picture of it. I think I mentioned in another post how in awe I am of Nisha's coconut splitting abilities. My first few tries worked, but it would take about ten whacks of the machete and I would end up with very lopsided sections, jagged splits, and/or spilled coconut juice. Today I split it perfectly in half with just two hits and collected all the juice. I'm not even sure what I did differently; it just seems that my hand has gotten the feel of it. It's so fascinating to learn something new. (It's also fascinating to observe myself making decisions-- I dropped Kathakali this week and am taking yoga and more cooking instead-- but this post is long enough so I won't get into the details now.)

I've purchased some kitchen equipment: a coconut grater, an idli steamer, and an appam pan. Someday, when I have my own kitchen, I also plan to have a machete there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on photographing the elephant, putting on your own sari, splitting the coconut, and adding more cooking! You are on a roll!

:-) Mom

Bri said...

Thanks #1 fan, er, I mean... Thanks, mom!

Anonymous said...

"Suddenly, the elephant appeared!"...It's not every day you get a chance to say that--unless maybe you're in India or the circus. I imagine you have to watch your step.

Bri said...

Yes, indeed. Between the cows and the elephants you must watch your step....

Well, I am in India, and I've been threatening for years to run away and join the circus. Last night we had a jam circle after dinner: I was spinning poi and other people played drums/buckets/tabla, flute, and the jaw harp. When my arms got tired, I did backbends, cartwheels, and random yoga poses (mostly hand balances)!

Dominique said...

You know you've been around the world when it suddenly seems imperative to keep a machete in your kitchen. Loving your blog, Bri! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that you're going to have to start up your own set of cooking lessons when you get back. I, for one, am definitely in. Plus my word verification is "hootsbat." Just felt the need to share that.

Bri said...

Dominique, wait until you see the coconut grater I bought!! But I'm going to wait on the machete until I get back. No point trying to carry that through customs...

Seth, I promise cooking lessons for you and Christina, at the very least :) While you're waiting, see if you can find curry leaf tree to plant (not the same as curry powder). Come to think of it, a cinnamon tree and a banana tree would be helpful, too.