Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Laundry Stone

So one of the differences between traveling long-term and more normal vacations is that you still have to deal with the routine and mundane tasks of life (and before anyone accuses me of whining, I just want to say that I'm making an observation, not complaining!). You just can't carry enough soap/shampoo/toothpaste to last seven or eight months. Bank accounts need to be checked, and mail needs to be opened (thanks mom!).

But probably the greatest constant is laundry. I pack more clothing when I am just taking a quick trip than I do when I am traveling for a month or more. For a short trip, I don't want to deal with washing stuff and usually you still need all the variations (short sleeves, long sleeves, rain gear). But when I travel, I know I will be doing laundry, so it's two of everything-- just like the ark! Two t-shirts, two long sleeve shirts, two pants. Most hostels don't like travelers handwashing clothes in the sink (I understand-- it can get a little gross), so often my clothes just go in the shower with me! Makes life easy. Occasionally, when things start getting really funky and I'm tired, I splurge on a (cheap) laundry service. It's such a treat to get everything back fresh and clean and nicely folded!

I lucked out in Italy and did almost no handwashing. We had a washing machine in our little apartment in Rome, Sebastiano had a washing machine, and Darcy and Adolfo had a washing machine. Only at Pratale did they handwash laundry. I was only there for a week and most of my clothes were clean on arrival, so I just washed some socks and a pair of pants (those took serious scrubbing-- I'd been picking chestnuts after a hard rain and they were so muddy and grass-stained). Oh, I guess I did handwash a few things at Darcy and Adolfo's when I needed some clean clothes but didn't have enough for a full load of laundry.

I was carrying some laundry soap powder (from the apartment in Rome), but I was worried about it spilling. Before I left Italy, I bought a bar of laundry soap-- specifically made for handwashing clothes-- and a stiff brush for scrubbing spots and stains! (I may have had access to washing machines, but they do a lot of laundry by hand there.) Since I've been in India, it's been all handwashing. But the amazing staff at VKV gave us the greatest innovation in handwashing: a laundry stone! Yep, a big, flat stone for scrubbing and flogging your laundry. Some people have them in their yards, others go down and use the ones along the river. And let me tell you, they work! Spots that I never would have gotten out with my scrub brush come right out on the stone. The downside is I think this probably wears clothing out pretty quickly, and you have to be careful with buttons. (I was careful not to scrub the ankle cuff buttons on my yoga pants from Aranmula Fashion Tailors, but I forgot about them when I was flogging the pants against the stone. Oops. They've been replaced now.) It is also super, super fun. Way more fun than just regular scrubbing. Now that I've left the center, I'm not sure how I'll ever get my cloths clean again. I washed some stuff that was just sweaty no problem, but my pants from yesterday have spots look tough. (sigh)

(I wrote most of this December 16 but didn't finish it. I saved the draft and just now got around to posting it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you said you want a machete in your kitchen when you get back home. Does that mean we need to get a flogging stone, too? I would love to get a first hand demonstration of how to use one properly!

:-) mom

Bri said...

Well, I did see a store that sells stones. Big ones. Washing stones and also grinding stones. But that would definitely put my luggage over the weight limit and shipping would be too pricey (not to mention all the stuff I've already accumulated). Fortunately, I have pictures. And if you flick through them fast enough, it looks like a video! A digital flipbook!