Sunday, December 21, 2008

On the road again...

Well, I have backlog of blog posts to write (so many amazing things!), but this is just a quick, quick update....

I left the cultural centre yesterday. My (almost) month there flew. I really don't know where it went. The transition back to solo travel was buffered a bit because I didn't leave by myself. Jannet, my spectacular housemate and social organizer extradinaire, along with Marsilia, another wonderful new friend, organized a trip this weekend to Periyar, a huge nature preserve along the eastern border of Kerala (the state where I've been the last few weeks). We relaxed yesterday afternoon when we arrived, and today we went on a full-day trek with guides. No tiger or elephant spottings but we saw plenty of other animals and plants. This evening, everyone else headed back to the cultural centre, but I stayed here in Thekkady (the town neighboring the park). Tomorrow I will hop on a bus and continue east over to Tamil Nadu (another state) and Chidambaram, a town known for its spectacular Shiva temple. This temple is one of the places in India I was most looking forward to seeing.

A few days before I left, I started getting that weird anticipation energy I get before I leave home for a trip. Funny, because technically I was already traveling, but the centre was starting to feel very familiar and home-like. Now I'm back to traveling solo with a completely flexible schedule and lots of freedom.

I got to see the temple elephant in Aranmula one more time on my last full day there!

2 comments:

C. Pommer said...

I know what you mean about places feeling like home (or not like travel) after very little time. I'm glad you got to the nature reserve. Does this mean you'll have less regular email access for awhile?

Anonymous said...

Christina, this is actually Mary Ann, Bri's mom. She did tell us in an e-mail that her internet access would be more sporadic.